[Digestion] Solar Heated Batch Bladder Digester for Poultry

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sun May 22 22:20:41 CDT 2011

Dear Steven,
In shops selling material for building construction, you would get
plastic water tanks. I have seen tanks of even 50, 000 litres (about
11,000 gallons). They can be kept above ground and you can use them as
digesters. Just build a plastic greenhouse-like structure or a
geodesic dome around this tank for passive solar heating. The fecal
matter of all animals contains methanogenic archaea, so there won't be
any need to use a culture. One time filling is O.K. I have seen that
large tanks filled with cattle dung plus other digestible matter yield
a steady output of biogas continuously for 6 months to a year. Ammonia
should not interfere with the process of digestion. It would go out of
the system along with the biogas. This is how the land fills work.
Please keep us informed of the progress of your project.
Yours
A.D.Karve

lOn Sun, May 22, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Steven Bolgiano