[Digestion] Biogas volume measurements

Jos van der Ent | Safi Sana jos.vanderent at safisana.org
Tue May 24 08:12:38 CDT 2011

Hi All,

I know there are more than one companies offering advanced measuring tools for gas(mass) flow meters. These are probably working fine for large scale systems, but I am wondering about methods for determining the biogas production of small scale systems (e.g. max 5 m3 biogas a day). The preference would go a simple meter, just like it can be done with water flow measurements.
- I found one reference described at the biogas wiki about 'upside down barrel' method (and useful excel sheet!).
- Also special biogas meters are sold on internet (e.g. Puxin is offering with Qmax 4 m3/h)
- What would be against using a regular household flowmeter? (Would special arrangement be needed e.g. pressure regulators?)

What accuracy would these methods have?
Are there other options?
What do they use in laboratories?
What are the experiences with these methods?

Thanks,
Regards, Jos