[Digestion] Water Heaters Kenya

alexanderb.eaton at gmail.com alexanderb.eaton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 09:07:35 CDT 2012

Hi Kyle,

In Mexico, domestic water heating is a really common use of biogas.  We have two strategies. First, using a boiler designed to receive woodfuel that is available everywhere in local markets.  It essentially has the water heating tank with a combustion chamber below where we mount a biogas burner.  Or we will use an lp gas boiler, and either remove the burner equipment or just the pressure regulators.  These are both very low cost options and work really well.

Downsides are that they do not use a pilot flame, and should be lit ahead of use.  Also, the tanks are much smaller than 1000 liters (big water tank!), generally between 60-100 liters.  The benefit of the smaller tank is that you heat water quickly, and it functions in some ways as "on-demand" as it will give constant hot water as long as the gas is on.

From our experience, you cannot use lp gas or nat gas boilers out of the box for domestic biogas use.  They require too much pressure and do not deliver enough gas volume.

Best
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T