[Digestion] Alkalinity

Jaime Marti Herrero tallerbiogas at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 31 11:55:27 CDT 2012

Hi Alexwe found that in some places of the Altiplano of bolivia the PH of the water used to mix with the manure a feed the digester has PH of 8-8,5. what we found at the effluent are similar PH values or a bit bit lower, never higher.Our digester with this PH are working well. Maria Ceron, one of my master thesis studients that has been monitoring 12 digesters in bolivia (she is in this list, i think), told me that she found literature where is explained that with high PH the bacterias can still work, but they need a adaptation process.In my case, digesters with PH higher than 8, of one and two years old are working, and also a 4 years digester that I visit last monday, was working properly.
To down the PH, you could use vinager (any one, also limon juice).... should be something like 1l of vinager in 100 liters of water with PH8, to down it to PH5,5
my recomendation iis to stop feeding the digester, leaving time for the adaptation of the bacteria (No feeding=no bacteria washing). One or two weeks. if the digester do no react, i would try with vinager...
keep in touchjaime

-----

Jaime Martí Herrero

CIMNE (www.cimne.com). Building