[Digestion] Co-digestion of Seagrass and Cow manure

Oliver Kynaston oliver.kynaston at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 07:05:28 CST 2012

Dear List,

I am living in tropical East Africa and have recently moved to a house near
the sea. I have some experience in setting up and designing domestic scale
biodigesters and am planning on installing a flexible bag or fixed dome
digester at my new place in the next couple of weeks.

I am planning on using cow manure as the principle substrate but was
wondering whether I could make use of the large quantities of Sea
Grass (Thalassodendron
ciliatum <http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/173375/0>) which is washed up
on the beach every day.

Does anyone know whether this would be a suitable substrate for
co-digesting with the cow manure? If so any recommendations on feeding
rates per kg of cow manure?

Also I am intending to use the bioslurry as a soil improver and fertiliser
on my land and would like to know whether the salt content of the seagrass
is likely to have a negative impact on the slurry/soil. I'm not keen on
using precious fresh water to wash it first...

Any pointers or links to resources would be welcome.

Best,

Oliver

--
Oliver Kynaston