[Digestion] slurry from Potassium hydroxide catalyzed glycerin

David david at h4c.org
Wed Jan 4 18:02:15 CST 2012

Douglas,

On 1/4/2012 7:15 AM, Douglas Renk wrote:
> Has anyone demonstrated the effect of introducing marine anaerobes
> highly toleratant of sodium into glycerin by-product enhanced
> digesters? Sodium may still be of concern for land application, but
> perhaps the digester could remain stable. I recall some studies
> about 20 years ago with Chynoweth at IGT for inoculum suited for sea
> kelp digestion.
> Any experience with this may greatly help our biogas industry
> with co-digestion of biodiesel glycerin. I find the industry
> resistant to move away from sodium hydroxide catalyst.

In a study about the digestion of (apparently salty) Korean food
wastes ("Effect of particle size and sodium ion concentration on
anaerobic thermophilic food waste digestion" Water Sci Technol.
2000;41(3):67-73), Kim et al found that

    ...methane gas production [was] affected by various sodium ion
    concentrations. The reaction was not affected until 5 g/L of
    sodium ion was added into the test reactor. The volume of methane
    gas produced from the test reactors decreased gradually according
    to the sodium ion concentrations applied when more than 5 g/L of
    sodium ion. In case of 20 g/L of sodium ion, the methane gas
    production was reduced to about 50% of theoretical gas volume.

Of course, as you imply, a good deal depends on the population in the
digester, but given that glycerin is so easily acidified, that it is
more easily produces stable digestion when other materials are added
to the digester, and that it must in any case be fed slowly, it seems
unlikely that the first problem one would encounter would be sodium
ion concentration. In other words the circumstances that lead to
stable digestion would tend likewise to reduce sodium concentration in
the digester, except perhaps if it is fed kelp or a similar
high-sodium co-digestate. As far as Wayne's question about ag use of
sodium-"enriched" effluent, that I would think would depend primarily
on the circumstances. Sodium would be a problem particularly in drier
climates and soils.

d.
--
David William House
"The Complete Biogas Handbook" |www.completebiogas.com|

"Make no search for water.       But find thirst,
And water from the very ground will burst."
(Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in /Delight of Hearts/, p. 77)

http://bahai.us/