[Digestion] Biogas production

Jaime Marti Herrero tallerbiogas at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 13 09:20:59 CST 2012

Hi Kyle

about antibiotics i have been afraid from the beginning,
but after years dealing with those, the solution is just to be patient and
wait for the auto regulation of the slurry. I attach a paper about antibiotics,
and how they do not affect seriously the biogas production.

about your low biogas production...yes, looks low. my
reference number are 35 liters of biogas per kg of fresh manure, so in your
case should be something like 1400l/day. with your numbers, the digester have
40 days of retention time (HRT) for 19ºC of slurry temperature. Your SBP (m3CH4/KgSV)
looks low, but your BPR (m3CH4/m3/d) looks acceptable, so the conclusion is
that the digestion process is not efficient, and could be because the
antibiotics, but also because the HRT is low.

so, i recommend you first wait a few weeks to looks
how is going the biogas production...and if nothing changes (you should get
something similar as 1400l/d for those 40kg of fresh manure), i recommend to give
more HRT to the digester, up to 60-65 days.

keep in touch

j-----

Jaime Martí Herrero

CIMNE (www.cimne.com). Building