[Digestion] Small Scale Digester Heating

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 20:03:15 CDT 2012

Dear biogas technologists,
you can heat a biogas digester using a tube which forms a circle at the
bottom of the biogas digester. Circulate hot water through this tube. You
can use a relatively small wood burning stove to heat a water pot, from
which the hot water is tapped for circulation through the tube. For a small
biogas plant, this is quite doable. Insulate the digester with sponge
rubber blanket, so that it remains warm. You can keep the biogas digester
indoors, with the water heating stove outside the house.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 9:46 PM, Manuel Jimenez <manuel.biogas at gmail.com>wrote:

> not only they have been tried but are used from many many years ago
> your numbers are real but as you point it these kind of digester are
> of bigger costs because of the technology involved
>
> the most important point is the insulation used, bigger insulation
> thickness demands less energy but costs are higher...
> you can heat it with solar heater and the reminder energy if needed with
> biogas
> but you cannot provide this kind of digester to a small farm house
> without electric supply, for example for control and mixing
> porpuses.....
> these "high tech" digester are suitable for certain houses /locations/
> with all basic requirement satisfied.......
>
> i work with these kind of digesters .....
> if i can help you contact me
>
> SKYPE manuel.jimenezt
>
> Manuel
>
> 2012/10/3 Takamoto <kyle at takamotobiogas.com>:
>  > Dear Biogas List,
> >
> > I have been thinking about the biggest hurdles to producing more gas from
> > small scale biogas systems (4 cubic meters to 12 cubic meters) and by far
> > the biggest barrier is heat. From the literature I have read it seems
> that
> > if you increase the temperature of the digester from about 18C (the
> > temperature of our digesters) to 37C you can nearly double the gas yield
> per
> > unit of input and nearly halve the retention time which would reduce the
> > capital costs.
> >
> > Does anyone know of tests that have been done or ideas that have been put
> > forth to heat small scale digesters in a controlled manner? (For the
> moment
> > assume that such a process could be managed on many disparate, small
> scale
> > biogas systems. That is the next challenge.) The processes I was
> thinking of
> > were 1.) to heat the biogas system with biogas from the system itself or
> 2.)
> > to bubble a very slight amount of air through the digester so that there
> was
> > a slight anaerobic reaction that would produce heat and warm the
> digester.
> > Or 3.) you could use sunlight to warm the digester if you can warm the
> > digester and not the gas holder as warming the gas holder will only cause
> > the gas to expand and no heat will be transferred to the slurry.
> >
> > These methods are probably most applicable to fixed dome and floating
> drum.
> >
> > Have either of these ideas been tried? Are there other ideas out there?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kyle

> > for more information about digestion, see
> > Beginner's Guide to Biogas
> > http://www.adelaide.edu.au/biogas/
> > and the Biogas Wiki http://biogas.wikispaces.com/

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)