[Digestion] Small Scale Digester Heating

Paul Harris paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au
Wed Oct 3 21:37:25 CDT 2012

G'day Takamoto,

You have to look at the tradeoff between cost of a larger digester at
ambient temperature (where you get all the biogas to use!) and the cost
(capital, operational and maintenance!) of installing insulation (loved
by birds and mice?) and a heating system on a smaller digester. Of
course you also have to consider the energy cost of heating the digester
- if you want more gas do you get it by using some of the gas to heat
the digester?

Based on a steady state model (see http://biowattsonline.com/ for a web
version) and a 4 cubic metre digester you should be able to go from 3
beef cattle to 11 beef cattle, so would get about 4 times the gas. My
simple Excel model shows the heater about halves the cost of biogas but
nearly doubles the digester capital cost and uses about 1/12 of the
increased gas production (about half of the ambient gas production -
most of the gas is used to heat the effluent if insulation is 50 mm
thick) - I used 20 ambient and 35 digester temperature.

Happy Digesting,
HOOROO

Mr Paul Harris BEng (Ag) (Melbourne)
Visitor at The University of Adelaide