[Digestion] Small Scale Digester Heating

Murali Krishna bmkrishna6 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 19:47:17 CDT 2012

Good day Mr.Takamoto,

As Mr. Paul has suggested, one has to assess whether it is  worthwhile to
spend on insulation and heating up of the digester and the extra quantity
of biogas generated.  It is need based. If the gas is generated just to
recycle bio waste and the generated biogas is used to meet household
thermal applications, you can go ahead.

You mentioned that you wish to raise the temperature by 17 C.  I presume
that this 17C is the additional temperature you wish to add up. Raising
temperature through partial aerobic process calls for some precision as it
involves some safety concerns also.  I do not think that we can raise up
the temperature by  17C (not to 17C) using aeration process without
inviting other problems. Mr. Paul may clarify this.   If you have a heat
source from an engine, as Dr. Karve has suggestged, you can run some SS
Coiled pipe in the digester and raise the temperature to 37 C. This is
one time capital cost and there is no  recurring cost. If we can trap waste
heat and utilize it for heating the digester, it is a viable proposition.

If you plan an underground digester you may have to pack the digester
around with some organic material.  This will maintain the inside heat to a
great extent.

It all depends on one's own requirement and climatic conditions.
Undoubtedly, the yield of biogas will be higher when the digester is
operated at a constant temperature of  37C and the amount spent to generate
excess gas should compensate.

Regards,

Krishna

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Takamoto <kyle at takamotobiogas.com> wrote:

> Dear Biogas List,
> gi
> Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. It can be done which is
> good news.
>
> Mr. Karve, could you explain your concept a little bit more? Is it passive
> or active (requires a pump)? and what is the name of the sponge rubber
> insulation material?
>
> Manuel, you mention that electricity is required for control. It seems
> that a battery could be used for control and last for several years. Is
> this true? At most you could use a tiny solar panel to charge a battery for
> all of the control power you need. How much stirring is actually required?
> If you are heating the bottom of the digester then there should be some
> convection in the tank just from thermal differences. Even so, I think I
> have seen that stirring only increases gas production by around 20%.
>
> Peter, how much power did your system require for pumping? Is there a way
> to do away with the pump? How much did a cloudy day affect the heating
> system? How much power was required to run your control system (if any)? It
> is good to hear that your mesophilic digester was able to produce better
> fertilizer than the ambient temperature digester. I have seen a website for
> a company in Australia called biobowser. Is that the same company? It looks
> like a beautiful technology all packaged into one easy (?) to install
> modular unit. Is there a reason why their smallest unit is for 100kg per
> day? Could their system be scaled down?
>
> Paul, to better understand the rough spreadsheet you made, you found that
> one twelfth of the additional biogas was used for heating so the net effect
> was a significant increase in biogas to the user. Have you had bad
> experience with animals in your insulation? Would you recommend avoiding
> some kinds of insulation? Are there some insulations that a good for
> underground installations?
>
> One of the ideas I proposed was to bubble a small amount of air through
> the digester so that there was a slight aerobic reaction that generates
> heat and keeps the digester warm. Is there any validity to this idea? Has
> it ever been done? Or would the amount of oxygen required to raise the
> temperature of a digester by 17C degrees kill the methanogenic bacteria?
>
> All the best wishes,
>
> Kyle
>

> I built a 1000L small scale digester about 10 years ago which incorporated
> chamber heating via solar hot water circulation as well as a biogas
> fired heat-exchanger as a back-up for cold nights.****
>
> The system could readily achieve blood temperature and maintain this
> with minimal management and a small amount of electricity to drive the
> circulation pump intermittantly.****
>
> A solar powered pump would have been sufficient.****
>
> I was not so interested in the biogas component at the time as the unit
> was readily able to produce 2 cubic meters of up to 90% methane per day and
> [...]

Regards.

Murali Krishna
Chairman
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Ph:+91-40-24339999, 24333333,243355555, 24333555
www.villagevisionindia.com
*

*
*
*
**
*
*
* **Never put water down the drain when there may be another use for it*
*Save the Environment*

*
*