[Digestion] Small Scale Digester Heating

govinda devkota govindadevkota at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 4 22:08:16 CDT 2012

Dear Biogas List,

There
are various methods used by several researchers in increasing the digester
temperature and ultimately the gas production especially in winter months in
the developing countries, which are summarized below.

Insulation
Heating
requirements or heat losses can be minimized by using insulation. Insulation is
very straightforward; it comes down to the selection of construction material
with a low heat transfer coefficient which is both affordable and available to
retain more heat. In conclusion, the extent of which biogas plants are exposed
to the low ambient temperature in winter time needs to be limited, and a
digester under the ground surface is preferable over a digester on top of the
ground. In addition, insulation needs to be applied on the upper part of the
digester.

Heat losses
happen when heat is transferred from a warm body to a cold body. In our case, heat
will transfer from the digester to the colder surroundings (soil and ambient
air) in the winter. This flux of heat needs to be minimized to retain the heat
in the digester. To minimize heat losses, we take the following factors into
account: a. Surface volume ratio, b. Insulation, c. Location of digester.

Composting on top of the dome

One
of the most important factors affecting biogas is temperature. When slurry
temperature is low, the gas production is greatly reduced. A compost pile can
generate significant amount of heat from decomposition of organic materials.
Decomposition can be accelerated by the addition of water with effluent from
the plant. The effect of compost for heat generation greatly varies with the
height of the compost pile and the time it takes to decompose. The height
should be not less than a meter or so. The compost should be piled on the top
of the dome for heat generation. The compost is made with straw, grasses, and
effluent from the plant itself. After three to four months the compost is ready
for feeding flora. Based on the study carried out in a 10 cum plant installed
in R &D office of GGC office at Butwal and a control plant in Kalikanagar
in 1982 the slurry temperature variation was significant (Devkota GP 1984).The
slurry temperature inside the digester of both plants were measured and it was
found that on an average the temperature on the compost plant was found 2.03 °C  higher than the control. The composting
technology can be applied to each dome plant, and it can increase inside slurry
temperature by 2 °C which results in 22.3% gas production increment. The same
experiment was conducted in Kathmandu and the gas production was about 52%
higher than that of control. It shows that the effect of composting is great in
colder areas such as Kathmandu than in (Terai) Butwal of Nepal.

The
compost pile should be kept moist by watering; a slight concave at top prevents
runoff of water. Decomposition can be accelerated by adding manure or effluent
from the plant. Composting can be facilitated by inoculation with lignin
degrading fungi such as Trichoderma viride and the use of cellular enzymes.

Solar radiation
The slurry temperature can be reduced if cold water is
used to mix the input. The mixing water can be left in the sun for a few hours
in a black painted drum or else the slurry can be solar heated after it is
mixed. If the slurry is held in a shallow mixing pit (about 7 cm deep), which
is covered by a plastic sheet during the hottest part of the day, its
temperature can rise as much as 9 °C (4.5 °C on a cloudy day) (Fulford D 1986).

Passive
solar heating of influent at the inlet can be used as an inexpensive means of
heat input into the plant. Since radiation can only penetrate a small distance
in slurry, the depth of slurry in the inlet pit should be shallow. This is
achieved by building shallower inlet pit of larger surface area. To prevent
heat losses by forced convection and back radiation the inlet pit should be
covered by transparent materials such as plastic or glass. Plastic is preferred
since it is easier and cheaper to replace when broken.
Experiments
were performed in Butwal, Nepal to determine the effect of plastic cover, the
optimal retention time of slurry in the inlet pit and the depth of penetration
of solar radiation. Having determined the later, the inlets could be modified
by making them shallower but with a larger surface area.

Hope this will help.

With best wishes,

Govinda