[Digestion] Sulphur levels

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 19:00:26 CST 2013

Dear biogas workers,
Sulphur is generally measured in the flue gases. From this point of
view, fecal matter of ruminents would produce much less sulphur if it
is burned directly. It is my estimate that dung gives about 3600
kcal/kg if burned, whereas one gets only about 600 kcal, if one uses
only methane produced from the same quantity of dung. I am quite sure
that one can design machines which can dewater dung by using a filter
press and convert the solids into briquettes. In a relatively dry
country like Mexico, one may be able to dry the briquettes under open
sky.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 12:33 AM, Arturo Ávalos-Longoria
<afal2906 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> We are in Mexico and we install units to generate electricity with biogas.
> To reduce the sulphur in the gas, we oxidyze it with good results, mainly.
> But there are are 3 sites, with extremely high sulphur levels (70, 10 and 5
> k ppm!) with no results. The methane levels are OK for two sites (55-60%)
> and bad for one (45). If we increase the air injection, the level drops,
> with a little increase of oxygen in all sites.
>
> The digesters are lagoon type and they receive cow manure.
>
> Any suggestion is appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Arturo

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)