[Digestion] Digestion Digest, Vol 34, Issue 8

Paul Harris paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au
Mon Jun 24 03:00:16 CDT 2013

G'day Edward,

Have a look at the following -
http://wastewaterbacteria.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/how-do-bacteria-lower-cod-and-bod.html

Basically it is a biological process (there are also thermal/chemical
processes that yield carbon monoxide, hydrogen and methane from organic
matter) that has several stages. Firstly extra-cellular enzymes break
complex molecules (proteins, carbohydrates and starches) into smaller,
soluble molecules that can enter the micro-organisms (this stage is
known as "hydrolysis"). The next stage is "acidogenesis", where the
products of hydrolysis are further broken down to short chain fatty
acids, giving off CO2, hydrogen and possibly some methane. This is
followed by "acetogenesis" where the fatty acids are reduced to acetic
acid, again producing CO2 and some methane and hydrogen. Finally
"methanogenesis" produces methane and CO2 from acetic acid (which is
where the bulk of the methane is produced). There is another pathway
where CO2 is reduced to produce methane and water, which uses up some of
the CO2 from the other processes. Each stage is symbiotic, as the
"waste" from one stage will inhibit that stage if it builds up too much
but the waste is also the input to the next stage, which must keep the
level low so the second stage is not also inhibited by high substrate
levels. It's like us - too much food (or not enough!) makes us sick and
if our waste accumulates instead of being disposed of we would get very
sick as well!

Hope this helps,
Happy digesting,
HOOROO