[Digestion] Digestion Digest, Vol 34, Issue 8

David david at h4c.org
Mon Jun 24 19:28:37 CDT 2013

Edward,

On 6/24/2013 1:08 AM, Edward Silalahi (Medan) wrote:
> Dear David, [...]
>
> 3. Our waste are Palm Oil Mill Effluent (POME) with COD approximate
> 70.000 to 80.000 ppm, my question how could I raise the efficiency of my
> bio gas production?

This is a different David.

I did a little work on POME in the Dominican Republic. As you may
know, the effluent from palm oil processing is relatively dilute, and
digesters using it are subject to wash-out, which means that the
slow-growing biogas microbes-- the methanogens-- may not have time to
multiply and become numerous before the effluent exits the digester.
One way to handle this is to provide increased surface area-- sheets
or tarps or baffles or what-have-you-- inside the digester, because
the methanogens like to become part of a biofilm. ("Biofilm" is a term
which generally means an ecosystem on a surface, where, in the case of
anaerobic digestion, the community of microbes would cooperate to
digest the effluent. Because these biofilms develop on surfaces,
increased surface area inside the digester will serve to anchor
methanogens, better inoculate incoming effluent, and thereby help
prevent wash-out.)

Other than that, several different kinds of digesters can be used, but
be aware that there are often significant design differences between
digesters that are built to use such dilute inputs and digesters that
are built to use materials with far higher solids content. For
example, the up-flow anaerobic sludge blanket (UASB)-type digesters
are suited to this type of input. One reference you may be able to use
to understand more about your situation is " A Biogas Trapping
Facility for Handling Palm Oil Mill Effluent", found here
<http://palmoilis.mpob.gov.my/publications/TOT/TT-491.pdf>.

Based on my brief review of your website, it is clear that your
facility is either already or is trying to become a member of RSPO,
the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil. Your biogas effort should be
integrated into the documentation you supply about this.

d.
--
David William House
"The Complete Biogas Handbook" |www.completebiogas.com|

"Make no search for water.   But find thirst,
And water from the very ground will burst."
(Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in /Delight of Hearts/, p. 77)

http://bahai.us/