[Digestion] Biogas plant at Zoo

paul perrin paul at idltd.com
Thu Jun 27 15:51:08 CDT 2013

What I have read does say that human waste is pretty useless for biogas (I
saw a figure of 1 cubic foot per day from one humans waste) - but I
understand that animal like elephants have massively inefficient digestion
systems (much food passing through almost entirely undigested) so their
dung will be entirely different and contain much more raw ingredients for
biogas generation (would dried elephant dung even burn?). There is a
calculation to be done, and it can't be based on 'averages' across species.