[Digestion] Biogas plant at Zoo

Alexander Eaton alex at sistemabiobolsa.com
Thu Jun 27 21:48:02 CDT 2013

Hi,

We have a digester treating waste from Elephants in Mexico (Indian
Elephants just living in Mexico :).  It is working great, and we are able
to recovery biogas which is burned for heating water for crocodiles, and
the water is recovered for irrigation.  The elephant waste has a lot of
massive, nearly whole pieces of plant stocks and other "woody" matter that
is not really digested by the animal which we strain out and send to a
compost.

In my opinion, zoos are a really ideally spot for biogas plants because
they have energy and fertilizer demands, and above all, they are
educational centers where the technology can be promoted to a broad public
that may not ever visits farms or other areas where AD is in place.
 Further, they should also be held to a higher sustainability standards
given this educational component.

Best,

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM, paul perrin <paul at idltd.com> wrote:

> What I have read does say that human waste is pretty useless for biogas (I
> saw a figure of 1 cubic foot per day from one humans waste) - but I
> understand that animal like elephants have massively inefficient digestion
> systems (much food passing through almost entirely undigested) so their
> dung will be entirely different and contain much more raw ingredients for
> biogas generation (would dried elephant dung even burn?). There is a
> calculation to be done, and it can't be based on 'averages' across species.
>

> On 27 June 2013 20:28, Anand Karve <adkarve at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear Rabin,
>> all animals, including humans, function as live biogas plants. The fecal
>> matter represents slurry coming out of a biogas plant. Using animal dung as
>> feedstock in a biogas plant is a highly inefficient way of producing
>> biogas. You get about 800 litres biogas from just 1 kg starch. To get the
>> same amount of biogas from cattle dung, you need 40 kg of it. One gets much
>> more energy from dung if it can be dehydrated and burned directly
>> Yours
>> A.D.Karve
>> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Rabin Shrestha <
>> rshrestha at winrock.org.np> wrote:
>>
>>>  Hello,****
>>>
>>> ** **
>>>
>>> Will it be a good idea to install biogas plant at zoo to manage and
>>> generate energy from the animal waste in the zoo???****
>>>
>>> ** **
>>>
>>> Regards,****
>>>
>>> Rabin****

>>> for more information about digestion, see
>>> Beginner's Guide to Biogas
>>> http://www.adelaide.edu.au/biogas/
>>> and the Biogas Wiki http://biogas.wikispaces.com/
>>>

>> --
>> ***
>> Dr. A.D. Karve
>> Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)

>> for more information about digestion, see
>> Beginner's Guide to Biogas
>> http://www.adelaide.edu.au/biogas/
>> and the Biogas Wiki http://biogas.wikispaces.com/

Alexander Eaton