[Digestion] Need suggestions

Rabin Shrestha rshrestha at winrock.org.np
Fri May 31 00:50:48 CDT 2013

Dear All,

I am writing this email to ask for advice about a problem which I
encountered in a Fixed dome biogas plant. In Nepal, we are trying to use
fixed dome biogas plant for generating energy from poultry waste. But during
the process we encountered some problems like there is deposition of calcium
carbonate (marble chips).In the poultry farms, the birds are fed with
calcium carbonate (CaCo3) or marble mixed with the food materials to help in
the digestion process. About 60% of these fed marbles comes out directly
through litter. The use of fresh litter directly as feeding material for
digester creates problem of siltation or deposition. This lead to the
non-functioning biogas plant.

Can you suggest any solution for this problem? Is there any process to
remove calcium carbonate that we can use before feeding the poultry waste in
the digester?

I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Regards,