[Digestion] Biogas for milk cooling centres in Central Uganda

David david at h4c.org
Tue Oct 8 11:46:00 CDT 2013

Stephen,

On 10/8/2013 2:37 AM, Stephen Etheridge wrote:

> Why not use a gas fridge?

One's mileage may vary, but gas refrigerators (here in the US, such as
the old Servels) have very poor efficiency (3%?), and generally
speaking, where enough biogas is available, it makes better sense to
make electricity, use the excess heat for the digester, and use
electric-powered cooling.

I don't know if larger cooling systems would experience significantly
better efficiency: indeed, I don't know that I have ever seen mention
of a larger system, which may provide something of an inferential
answer. (By the way, Einstein held a patent on a gas-powered
refrigeration system.)

d.
--
David William House
"The Complete Biogas Handbook" |www.completebiogas.com|

"Make no search for water.   But find thirst,
And water from the very ground will burst."
(Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in /Delight of Hearts/, p. 77)

http://bahai.us/