[Digestion] Pest repellent capability of biogas slurry - information request

Hoysall Chanakya chanakya at astra.iisc.ernet.in
Mon Dec 22 16:30:27 CST 2014

Dear Digestion list members
Merry Christmas and a Happy new year

I will attempt to examine the pest repellent properties of digester liquid
from an anaerobic digester and I request list members if they could share
any such experience- documented, published or simply visually
authenticated on this subject.

I am inspired by the fact that between 1992 and 2006 organic farmers of
the Low external inputs and sustainable agriculture (LEISA) network in
South India fermented leaves of local weeds and sprayed the filtered
digestate (25d old) to obtain pest repellent action for periods between
3-7d for many sucking pests (aphids and jassids), red hairy caterpillar
(groundnut), pink boll worm (cotton) and many less described pests of
paddy, green gram and a few vegetable crops.

Please share with me any such information if you know of any,.  I am
attempting to document and experiment the same.  The irony has been that
for long (over 40 years) we recommended that digestion of cattle dung
because it removes the property of attraction to flies and only very few
workers have attempted to determine if it actually repelled insects (and
pests).

With best wishes
And thanking you in advance
Chanakya
chanakya at astra.iisc.ernet.in
hoysull at gmail.com

--
Center for Sustainable Technologies
Assoc. Faculty. Center for Contemporary Studies

believed to be clean.