[Gasification] interesting video of Swedish A. B. Gasgenerator. more things to learn from the ancients!

jim mason jim at allpowerlabs.org
Mon Aug 1 21:05:18 CDT 2011

i just stumbled across this rebuild project of an old sweedish
gasifier on youtube.

the done unit is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeVWicL-ygw

the start is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juapv4nq4a4&NR=1

there are many interesting details on these machines.  note the long
curved cooling tubes that conform to the reactor/hopper.  they nicely
junction into a box on each end where they can have the pipe cleaner
poker passed through.  designed for service, as they should be!

note also the large flat ash bin door at the base.  these are more
wide and less tall than usual.  they also use a simple square clasp
with one hand wheel tighten point.  i like this very much.  might
steal it myself.  easy access with assured air tightness to the under
grate area continues to be a challenge around our shop.  any air leak
here means immediate burning of the hot gas at the grate.

the second video shows the inards of the filter.  i'd never seen this
type of hoop and cloth filter.  very interesting.  still, i think if
they had our reticulated foams in all ppi back then, they'd likely be
using such.  then again, we still build k&n filters out of gauze
(though not to great filtering success).

the cyclone looks badly out of proportion.  i doubt the swedes would
get this wrong, so maybe there is an inner tube that is the actual
spin cylinder.  maybe they did this to get the big wide bottom catch
basin while also protecting the user against hot surfaces.  maxgasman,
you know what is going on inside this cyclone?

the start up blower is a pusher, and there appears a valve on top of
the cylcone, pre colling rack to flare.   they must have felt
confident of their system sealing to run a pusher fan for startup.

can't see too much about the hearth other than it has three nozzles,
and is apparently some refractory.  cannot see lower bell, only top.

there are many well considered features on this unit to achieve
compactness.  it shows many generations of product refinement to fit
the car mounting.  it is a long way from a raw series of tanks
connected together by tubes.  but what else would we expect from the
swedes . . .