[Gasification] interesting video of Swedish A. B. Gasgenerator. more things to learn from the ancients!

Mark E. Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Mon Aug 1 23:38:14 CDT 2011

Very cool!

-----Original Message-----
From: gasification-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org
[mailto:gasification-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org] On Behalf Of jim
mason
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 7:05 PM
To: gasification at bioenergylists.org
Subject: [Gasification] interesting video of Swedish A. B. Gasgenerator.
more things to learn from the ancients!

i just stumbled across this rebuild project of an old sweedish gasifier on
youtube.

the done unit is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeVWicL-ygw

the start is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juapv4nq4a4&NR=1

there are many interesting details on these machines.  note the long curved
cooling tubes that conform to the reactor/hopper.  they nicely junction into
a box on each end where they can have the pipe cleaner poker passed through.
designed for service, as they should be!

note also the large flat ash bin door at the base.  these are more wide and
less tall than usual.  they also use a simple square clasp with one hand
wheel tighten point.  i like this very much.  might steal it myself.  easy
access with assured air tightness to the under grate area continues to be a
challenge around our shop.  any air leak here means immediate burning of the
hot gas at the grate.

the second video shows the inards of the filter.  i'd never seen this type
of hoop and cloth filter.  very interesting.  still, i think if they had our
reticulated foams in all ppi back then, they'd likely be using such.  then
again, we still build k&n filters out of gauze (though not to great
filtering success).

the cyclone looks badly out of proportion.  i doubt the swedes would get
this wrong, so maybe there is an inner tube that is the actual spin
cylinder.  maybe they did this to get the big wide bottom catch basin while
also protecting the user against hot surfaces.  maxgasman, you know what is
going on inside this cyclone?

the start up blower is a pusher, and there appears a valve on top of
the cylcone, pre colling rack to flare.   they must have felt
confident of their system sealing to run a pusher fan for startup.

can't see too much about the hearth other than it has three nozzles, and is
apparently some refractory.  cannot see lower bell, only top.

there are many well considered features on this unit to achieve compactness.
it shows many generations of product refinement to fit the car mounting.  it
is a long way from a raw series of tanks connected together by tubes.  but
what else would we expect from the swedes . . .

Jim Mason
Website: http://www.whatiamupto.com
Current Projects:
   - Gasifier Experimenters Kit (the GEK): http://www.gekgasifier.com