[Gasification] brush to charcoal

Robert Kana sinan at biomassindo.com
Thu Feb 17 05:09:21 CST 2011

Hello Joshua,

I know there are acacia plantations in Indonesia and doing very well
with the yield. Acacia is hard wood make good charcoal. Freshly cut
acacia will yield about 20% charcoal, 2 months air dried acacia will
yield about 30-33 % charcoal. No matter where you are firewood is about
$ 50 per ton, compare to charcoal at $ 300. If you can make the charcoal
in retort, yield will be more, you can also distillate the smoke and get
100 liters of wood vinegar from 1 ton of wood being carbonized. Wood
vinegar can be used in soil improvements as well as charcoal dust that
you will get from your charcoal production.
There are other valuable advices what to do with the land, if you
consider to go with charcoal we might be able to give you some ideas how
to do this in an environment friendly way. To produce energy with the
wood you must compromise on charcoal, but you can get biochar.
There is no easy answer to produce energy (thermal-electric?). All
gasification systems to produce electricity is costly. The only way to
make charcoal and electricity, you built closed retort systems with gas
diverting pipes (these pipes will get dirty with tar), wood gas coming
from the retorts can produce steam for turbines. Now we are talking
steam boiler and turbine. If you go with an IC engine, there is a
gasifier, gas cooling, cleaning, filtering and IC engine.
Anyway we can help you with the carbonization and biochar production.
For gasification for electricity (our gasifier produce biochar instead
of ash), you can e mail me directly.

Robert Sinan Kana, Director Utama

Pt. Biomass Energy
Jl. Kutoarjo Km 06, Candisari Purworejo