[Gasification] ideal wood gas engine

doug.williams Doug.Williams at orcon.net.nz
Sun Feb 27 16:26:51 CST 2011

Hi Henri,

You tell us more about your project application:

I'm thinking the camshaft from a propane engine might be close.

I agree, just ensure you have the right valve insert seats also fitted. The older cast iron inserts tend to burn out on the exhaust side.

My generator needs 100 hp @1800 rpm. It is a Hobart pipeliner with two 400 amp sides @ thirty five volts dc. The ac capacity on the hobart is just 1500 watts so I  need ac auxiliary generators inc. single and three phase for shop power.
A three phase, three hp and a single phase five hp motors should do the trick.
I think I can generate enough 12 volt dc current during the day with  storage batteries to supply household power at night.

Cannot comment on the electrical power outputs, but if you are operating with variable load, your consumption should be at around 60-70% of the maximum output. This allows for motor start-up loading so the engine doesn't just groan to a stall. I have to wonder if the turbo can respond quickly enough to potential load increase to match the engine governor, so be aware to monitor this once you get it all running. Probably it won't matter if you don't need a high spec power supply.

Please post an update once you lash it all together.

Doug Williams.