[Gasification] Benefits of boosting compression ratio with producer gas

Thomas Reed tombreed2010 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 18:04:04 CST 2011

Dear Toby and all

Th compression ratio of the engine is a purely mechanical concept, the ratio of the cylinder volume at bottom dead center to that at top dead center, BDC/TDC.  To this must be added any extra onto pressure from turbocharging,

Simple thermodynamics predicts and practice shows that both power and efficiency increase linearly with CR.  Since producer gas has an octane over 180, various groups have been "souping up " gas engines, using CR in excess of 18/1.  Little old producer gas has grown up.

Tom Reed.   BEF

Dr Thomas B Reed
President, The Biomass Energy Foundation
www.Woodgas.com