[Gasification] [Digestion] composition of pyrolysis gas

jim mason jim at allpowerlabs.org
Mon Jan 24 18:45:31 CST 2011

anand,

the difficulty in answering the question of "what does pyrolysis make" is
that it changes so much with temp, ramp rate, residence time and physical
form of the fuel (which changes temp, ramp rate and residence time as a
second order problem).  you know this, but still the desire for a general
answer is attractive.

one place to look is reed's "biomass gasifier tars: their nature, formation
and conversion".  this will give you some info on how gas compositions
change with different temp pyrolysis.  this uses the primary, secondary and
teritary classificaiton method.

 the digital copy is here, but better to buy the fancy hardcopy from
www.woodgas.com.
http://www.osti.gov/bridge/product.biblio.jsp?query_id=1&page=0&osti_id=3726

the thersites site on tar dewpoints also has some interesting
classifications of tars by ring number.  see here: http://www.thersites.nl/

in general the answer is very vague and always changing.  there is much more
variability in pryolysis than in any of the other processes in a gasifier.
well controlling it i think is a key to better gasifier outcomes.   sadly,
it is the process most ignored when people are trying to fix the gasifier.

traditional designs treat pyrolysis as the thing that just happens as a
result of everythign else.  many problems follow from this.  many
opportunities for making things better are missed.