[Gasification] Range Fuels Closing Plant

Mark Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Tue Jan 25 22:58:43 CST 2011

Hi Andrew,

To address the exact issue you describe, designers of equipment that
incorporates the equivalent of conveyor flighting for mass transport and
processing add periodic "interrupter bars" that disrupt (mix, actually) the
mass being conveyed by the auger and prevent any co-rotation. Obviously, the
flighting itself must also be interrupted in the region of the bars.

It's common to have a large shaft core, which is generally heated as well,
to reduce the radial heat transfer distance and provide torsional stiffness
to the auger.

No one seems to know for certain how many modes of failure RF's contraption
had. From TK's description, the pyrolysis section sees overly complex and
under-designed. But it could that the conversion chemistry part of the
process was equally ill-conceived.

Mark