[Gasification] Producer Gas Engine Paper

Ken Boak ken.boak at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 06:29:21 CDT 2011

This is an interesting discussion, which tends to make me believe that the
future of woodgas, will be ignited with the use of conventional diesel
engines, modified for spark ignition, rather than the initially more obvious
choice of a gasoline engine.

If, as suggested that woodgas can be used without knock problems in a stock
diesel engine at a compression ratio of 17:1, then this better than
compensates for the loss of efficiency when used in a gasoline engine.

As an enthusiastic user of the slow speed Lister type diesel engines, I hope
to be commencing some power tests on woodgas later this year.  It will be
interesting to see how  woodgas performs at the much slower 600 rpm of the
Lister, compared to the more normal 1500/1800rpm of a direct drive diesel
generator.  The Lister being an old design with a relatively long stroke of
5.5"  has a  mean piston speed of about 10 feet per second - how this
relates to a modern, "squarer"  higher rpm engine I would need to
investigate.

Ken