[Gasification] CONSERVATION OF ENERGY

Jason Stewart urepedese at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 19:15:12 CDT 2011

I did take a look at that link and was hoping for a response from someone
more knowledgeable than I.

My chosen area of study is Architecture rather than Engineering, but what I
can tell you is the refining of aluminium uses vast amounts of energy
compared to any other metal. It is in the order of multiples of that
required for steel. I have heard the nick name used 'solid electricity'.

Unfortunately your propostion the metal is 'green' because is uses hydro is
not a full appraisal. Firstly it doesn't consider the damage a dam does to
the ecosystem. Second the process leaves toxic by products, including
fluorides. I have worked at the Aluminium Smelter in Tiwai Point, New
Zealand. The toxic waste there is buried just back from a pristine beach.
Environmental laws have gradually seen them reduce the stack emissions, and
that was the project I was working on. However I heard stories of livestock
downstream from the stack suffering from birth abnormalities. I am sure
working in that environment contributed to the cancer I suffered 10 years
ago.

I would love to hear any counter argument for the Cornish Generator though.

Regards

Jason Stewart