[Gasification] CONSERVATION OF ENERGY

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Jul 12 21:03:16 CDT 2011

Dear Tom

Thanks very much for the specific real numbers for the energy available from a pound of Aluminum.

Assuming that scrap Aluminum sells for $1 per pound, then the cost of the energy in the Hydrogen produced is thus $1/3.3 = $.30 per kw-hr, assuming 100% conversion to Hydrogen.

In comparison, purchased wood pellets cost about $5 per 40 pound bag, or $.125 per pound, and each pound of pellets contains about 8,500 BTU, or about 2.5 kw-hr per pound.  In this case, the cost of contained energy is about $.125/2.5 = $.05 per kw-hr, ie, about 1/6 as much.

As I understand it, the best practical efficiency of a Fuel Cell running on Hydrogen is about 60%; this would cost of energy for electricity of about $.30/.6 = $.50 per kw-hr.

A biomass gasifier has a typical efficiency of about 70%, giving a cost of the gas energy of about $.05/.7 = $.071 per kw-hr. If this gas is sent to an internal combustion engine with an efficiency of 25%, shaft power thus costs about $.284 per kw-hr; if the shaft was connected to a generator with 80% efficiency, then the energy cost of power from high cost wood pellets would be about $.284/.8 = $.357 per kw-hr.

There was a discussion about an "Earth Battery" using Aluminum as the energy source. Would you have any idea of the conversion efficiency of Aluminum to Electricity in such an "Earth Cell?" More particularly, would the efficiency of such an "Earth Cell" be lower than, approximately equal to, or higher than, a Fuel cell?

Thanks, and Best wishes,

Kevin