[Gasification] CONSERVATION OF ENERGY

Jason Stewart urepedese at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 16:37:47 CDT 2011

Hi Tom,

I hate to post here too often as I am just a babe in gasification terms.

I passed the comment on thermite welding because I spent 3 months using the
technique to weld the copper tails onto the aluminium buzzwork for the
aluminium smelting cells. This was to distribute 96,000Amps at 4V at the
Tiwai Point Aluminium Smelter.

The thermite mix was aluminium and copper oxide. This required a staged
start with two different compounds to bring the temperature of the aluminium
up to a point where it destabilised and ignited. About 2 seconds at over
2000° the molten copper would melt through the copper retaining discs and
drop through into the mold.

I have no doubt you understand the chemistry better than I. What we were
able to achieve was to take the CADWELD training from the English engineer
and increase their expected output by 250% from 8 welds per two man team per
day, to 20. We actually did that by lunch time, but it was getting
embarrassing for them so we dithered around in the afternoons. At the same
time we halved the expected failure rate:)

Kind Regards

Jason Stewart

Kind Regards

Jason Stewart