[Gasification] sidebar Ideal Gas Law for engineering

Mark Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Sat Mar 5 21:07:38 CST 2011

Hi Toby,

I think I see what you mean by the "balloons". So I would ask this question:
"If a mixture of gases (as represented by the 'normal' Earth's atmosphere)
would stratify as you suggest, wouldn't one expect the atmosphere to have a
different composition at every discrete altitude?" Or: "Wouldn't all the CO2
have suffocated us by now, even if it is only 0.035% of the atmosphere? (If
the atmosphere were 100,000 ft thick, that would still be 35-feet.)"

Intended to be a thought experiment. Sometimes though experiments can save
time and money.

Best regards, Mark