[Gasification] reducing temp. of gasification

Pannirselvam P.V pannirbr at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 12:01:51 CDT 2011

 Dear  Jim , Dr A.D.Karve

Dear Jim and ADK

 we have been working to  to do what   AD K idealised projects.

    Jim is correct , theer are real problem with h2 and co storage.Even
after diution of both of this dangerous gas from syngas to producer gas  of
lower quality with N2 , the compressibilty problem is yet there , even small
quantity of compressed h2 is explosives .

the best way to solve this problem is  via slow pyrolysis.The pyrolysis gas
can be quenched , the tiem controled and can be used.

the best pyrolyis process from Austraulia is sucess ful one  m comercial
scae inwhic
producer gas from pyrolysed  charcaol is burnt very neat and clean  to do
pyrolysis.

Jim has operated GEk in pyrolysis mode too.

 I am sure biogas methane can make better Hbio oil , gas  thus helping
combined pyrolysis  and trireforming of c02 recyclibg with catalyst.

Idealy getting bio oil , pyrogas and charcoal   as biomass refinary  as ADK
 product demand  can push  this project into reality.Where there is an need
, an apportunity, there innovative tecnology  deveopment  become possible.

se heer more information about syngas  production nusing c02,methane
reforming

https://plus.google.com/u/0/114788987753123175730/posts/esRBsYVGN7n

truly
Pannirselvam P.V

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Anand Karve <adkarve at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Jim,
> from your message it appears that it is not possible to lower the
> temperature of gasification if we wanted to produce producer gas in an
> oven-and-retort system. We developed, at the end of the last century,
> an oven-and-retort process for producing charcoal from agricultural
> waste. At that time, a researcher from the National Chemical
> Laboratory, Pune, India, tested some catalysts in our oven-and-retort
> system to show that one could produce active charcoal even at the
> relatively low temperature of 300 to 400 C. This led me to thinking
> that one may discover a catalyst which might help us in getting
> producer gas from agricultural waste at this temperature. Some
> preliminary experiments were conducted by us with the help of a
> pyrolyzer being used for producing fuel oil from plastics. The same
> proprietory catalyst was used in this process, which was being used in
> the plastic to fuel oil process. We obtained a fair quantity of
> combustible gas, which we could collect over water, like biogas. We
> burned it in a biogas stove. The success of these experiments lead me
> to think that it might be feasible to produce producer gas in an
> oven-and-retort system.
> Yours
> A.D.Karve
>
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 2:25 PM, jim mason <jim at allpowerlabs.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Anand Karve <adkarve at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Dear Henri,
> >> yes it is too complicated. I give below my basic reason for using this
> process.
> >> India generates
> >
> >> When we heat the biomass in a closed vessel, can we add a catalyst to
> >> the biomass so that the producer gas is generated at a lower
> >> temperature? In this way, we would require much less material for
> >> burning outside the reactor vessel. If anybody has already done this
> >> kind of work, is the catalyst known? Once we get producer gas without
> >> nitrogen, we can look at filling it into cylinders and supplying it to
> >> rural people as high grade fuel for using in internal combustion
> >> engines.
> >

> > a.d.
> >
> > it would be wonderful to have a conversion route like this.  sadly i
> > think the thermo-chemistry is against us here.  but you should prove
> > us wrong ;-)
> >
> > however even if solved, the result would still be marginally able to
> > be compressed economically in low tech situations.  think of the
> > difficulty in even ch4 compression for fuel volumes.  now, 2-3x that
> > difficulty with pure h2 and co? (btw, what is the actual energy
> > density difference here?)
> >

> > here's some challenges for the "magic retort" that i see.
> >
> > first, you have both a volatile gas/liquid and char conversion
> > problem.  pyrolysis is going to give you both.  yes, we can easily
> > complete pyrolysis at 300c or so with common ic exhaust heat exchange,
> [...]

P.V.PANNIRSELVAM
ASSOCIATE . PROF.
Research Group ,GPEC, Coordinator
Computer aided  Cost engineering

DEQ – Departamento de Engenharia Química
CT – Centro de Tecnologia / UFRN, Lagoa Nova – Natal/RN
Campus Universitário. CEP: 59.072-970
North East,Brazil
https://sites.google.com/a/biomassa.eq.ufrn.br/sites/
 and