[Gasification] filtration options and their varying discontents

David G. LeVine dlevine at speakeasy.net
Mon Dec 10 15:57:57 CST 2012

On 12/10/2012 02:44 PM, jim mason wrote:
> the problem is typical operation is variable.  during start up you
> always go through a stoich point as you move air out of the system and
> progressively make gas.  even if you leave the system full of gas on
> shut down, start up in the reactor can pass lots of air until things
> get up to temp again.  this can easily result in a combustible mixture
> in the system.
>
> we've found this to be a fairly significant operational reality that
> needs to be addressed for regular users.  similar for the impact of
> backfires from the engine igniting the intake stream.  while things
> are "usually" ok, the marginal events can be quite, umm, compelling .
> . .   we've started adding more pressure relief points where typically
> not needed to cover these outliers.  we're also looking to add a flame
> arrestor right  at the manifold to prevent backfires propagating.

Would a flame arrestor (basically a couple of layers of copper screen or
a layer of copper wool) just before the ESP be sufficient to prevent
propagation into the rest of the system?  All that needs is a pressure
relief in the ESP for when there is a "marginal event".  If the throttle
is before the ESP, not even a pop-off would be needed, but the volume
sounds like it would be a bit too large that way.

Dave  8{)

--

/"The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look
at the men he has around him."/

/
NOTE TO ALL:

When forwarding emails, please use only "Blind Carbon Copy" or "Bcc" for
all recipients. Please "delete" or "highlight & cut" any forwarding
history which includes my email address! It is a courtesy to me and
others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the
world! Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from mining addresses
and viruses from being propagated. /

THANK YOU!