[Gasification] Need help from gasifier experts_Clinker formation

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Jul 24 02:54:07 CDT 2012

Dear Prasad

The average fuel particle size is important for "good gas." If the gasifier design worked well with wood chips of a given size, then changing to wood pellets of a different size would be expected to result in a change in gasifier performance, similar to changing to wood chips of a similarly different size.

Wood pellets can have a different problem associated with them. In addition to the apparent difference in average particle size between wood chip and pellet fuel, there can be a hidden difference in real average fuel particle size, in that wood chips can fall apart through moisture absorption from gas circulating within the fuel bed. These smaller particles can tend to block off portions of the previously active gasifier bed, leading to channelling and non-uniform flow through the bed. This "non-uniform flow" can be "too much air in one section of the bed" (leading to very high temperatures and clinkering of ash), and other areas of the bed where there is "too little air" ( leading to tarry gas passing through the reaction zone).

Best wishes,

Kevin Chisholm