[Gasification] Need help from gasifier experts_Clinker formation

doug.williams Doug.Williams at orcon.net.nz
Tue Jul 24 04:45:06 CDT 2012

Hi Prasad,

Both Thomas and Kevin have offered good advise, and the only thing that I can offer, is that you talk about biomass pellets, rather than wood pellets. As we know that many agricultural wastes, twiggy shrubs and leaves are often used for pelleting, their higher ash and silica content will create sintered clinkering.

Collect samples from through out the bed depth above and below the oxidation air/fuel interface, and examine the carbonized pellets to see if they are extruding tiny beads of melted ash. If so, then you cannot improve anything, other than to change to a known wood pellet, and that may change your end result. Kevin's advise then takes over, and you should study and learn to understand how these differences affect gas making.

Hope this may be of assistance.
Doug Williams,
Fluidyne.