[Gasification] 2 MWe Gasifier at University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada

Prasad Mande prasad.mande at Agnienergy.com
Mon Jun 25 01:06:11 CDT 2012

Hi Tom,
This looks very interesting project. Can you please share project report or any details of configuration? What have you been thinking for gas clean up and tar elimination?

From: gasification-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org [mailto:gasification-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org] On Behalf Of Tom Miles
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 4:31 AM
To: 'Discussion of biomass pyrolysis and gasification'; mark at ludlow.com
Subject: Re: [Gasification] 2 MWe Gasifier at University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada

Thomas, Mark,

I think it is best to let them run for a year and work out the kinks before we second guess efficiencies. Let's hope they can get the kinds of run time and capacity factors that Babcock Volund and Repotec report.
I am sure they will report once they are running smoothly. I'm interested to see where they are a year from now in operation and maintenance costs, efficiencies and overall reliability. Judging from their other plants and from what I see I would say their prospects are good.

This is an installation that is only a few miles from the Nexterra head office and not far from similar gasifiers that Nexterra has  have at a local paper mill. As Thomas would say, the baby is not too far from the parents so when it cries they can respond quickly. And they know where to find good quality, local, fuel.

The heat output is larger than stated on their website. I haven't discussed this with them but they did say that the heat load is the primary benefit of the system. Power generation is secondary. The university pays much more for natural gas than we would pay in Oregon at industrial rates. Plus the province has a carbon tax. So heating with wood is desirable. Perhaps for this they increased the size of the boiler.  If I remember correctly the jacket water dries the fuel (in a Stella down flow belt dryer). The boiler is fed with engine exhaust and directly with gas from the gasifier. The gasifier can drive either heat, power or both.

Tom