[Gasification] 2 MWe Gasifier at University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Mon Jun 25 09:53:25 CDT 2012

Thomas,

Sounds like thinks haven’t changed much since the World Bank gasifier
monitoring project in the 1980s. :-/

Actually there are several operating systems in the world. As you say I
think the percentage of low end gasifiers that are actually working may be
pretty low.  When we get our gasification website back online we'll try to
survey and report on some of these.  (We're under a major overhaul due to
high traffic.)

Any industrial gasifier or boiler is going to have to hit basic targets for
efficiency and reliable operation whatever the targets are: 20-25% fuel to
power (NCV); and,  4,000, 6,000, or 8,000 hours per year. I know of
gasifiers that have difficulty making a few hours a day. You need at least
13 hours per day to make 4,000 hours per year (310 days).

The target for the UBC gasifier is 7500-8000 hours per year. They achieve
that with their heat units. They operated a 250 kWe gasifier for 3,000
hours. I saw it a couple of years ago at 1,000 hours. There have been many
design changes since then.

Once the reliability of the 2 MWe system is demonstrated then you can build
6-8 MWe systems where you have significant economies over steam systems. But
you need a good power contract (or savings) and you need a use for waste
heat. We hear that Europe (UK, Italy) is the best place for good power
contracts and high heating costs these days so we should see many
gasification plants being built there.

Tom