[Gasification] Biochar et al.

David Murphy djfmurphy at dodo.com.au
Tue Dec 10 16:58:36 CST 2013

Hello Anand !

I seem to recall, last time I was in Pune, when I
was being shown worm, composting and anaerobic
digesting sites, the mention of the name Karve.
It's about 5 years ago now and my notes are in
Singapore so I can't be sure and my memory is a
bit slippery. Would that be right ?

Clearly you are a far more full bottle on bacteria
than I.  It is a topic on which I  I have found it
difficult to extract information.  My knowledge is
much more of the broad brush variety than the
specifics of yours and I would welcome some
reading on the topic of soil benevolent bacteria.

I guess in strict terms you are right about
mineral solubility in water but I can't see water
releasing minerals from basalt or granite at a
rate that would support vigorous plant growth.
I wonder though, does this still apply in pure
(say distilled) neutral pH water ?).    In my
biofertilisers I use a little molasses as a base
ingredient.  It acts as a dust binder but also to
stumulate bacterial activity in the soil.

DJM.