[Gasification] [biochar] Pine char gasification

Kevin C kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Dec 26 18:39:14 CST 2013

Dear Jeff

Quoting Jeff Davis <jeffdavis0124 at gmail.com>:

> Hi Kevin,
>

> On 12/26/2013 06:37 AM, Kevin C wrote:
>> # KC: The possibility of using the nutritious ``black goop`` from
>> the bottom of the Òxbow Lakes that are very common along the Amazon
>> River has been suggested as a source of fertilizing nutrients for
>> Terra Preta on this list in the past, and the concept was received
>> with extreme disinterest. I would suggest that the ``black
>> goop``was made by the `LTAHTC Process``, ie, the ``Low Temperature
>> Anaerobic HydroThermal Carbon Process``
>
> I could not find this term "LTAHTC", is this new?

# This is a "Chisholm Original" that I just created. Basically, it is
the kind of process that occurs when vegetative matter such as leaves,
grasses and vegetative matter sink to the bottom of a pond and
decompose, in an anaerobic process, liberating methane, and leaving
behind a smelly "black goop."

It kind of sounds
> like the "black goop" that I made from switch grass named Fuelage.
> Maybe I need to add the chopped grass into a pond and later scoop it
> out?

# Yes, indeed!! That is exactly it. Consider an oxbow lake, on the
Amazon River. It would be an excellent place for a Community to raise
Tilapia, that feed on algae. All the Amazonians would have to do is
throw in manure, to cause algae blooms, and they would get a large
growth of Tilapia fish, which they could easily harvest. The fish
waste would be high in phosphate and nitrate content, and that would
perpetuate algae blooms, that are great for growing Tilapia, in "Green
Water Aquaculture." If they did not harvest enough fish, and if the
weather got too hot, reducing the water oxygen content, the remaining
fish would suffocate. However, the "black goop" on the bottom of the
Oxbow Lake, would be highly nutritious as a "fertilizer". It could
easily be "dredged" by buckets from a canoe, and be taken ashore, for
spreading on their nearby fields. That would explain the presence of
lots of fish bones.

> Or maybe your thinking of this:
> <http://www.ava-co2.com/web/pages/en/technology/hydrothermal-carbonization.php>

# As I understand it, this process is somewhat different from the
"LTAHTC" process, in that it seems to go further down the process
road, stripping more H and O off the original biomass, to produce a
product higher in Carbon, and lower in H, and O, than would be the
"black goop" produced in a swamp situation.

# It would be very interesting indeed to see comparative growth tests
using the LTAHTC, AVA-CO2, and "Conventional Biochar" products.

Best wishes,

Kevin