[Gasification] Wood heating in the UK - whole log gasification

Ken Boak ken.boak at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 04:20:44 CST 2013

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the great videos of your stove conversion.

It was useful to see the fuel wood in the "magazine" being burned from the
cut ends.  So often a woodstove burns logs that are essentially horizontal,
and it makes a difference if you present the bark-side or the split side
down to the bed of embers.  The grain structure being more open and exposed
on the split face encourages a more rapid burn.

This is my main unknown as yet,  how would a split log combust and
pyrolise, if presented to the ember bed, cut end first.  I suspect that
there would be little penetration of heat axially, directly through the
end, because the ring structure presents a tough barrier. Therefore, most
burning would have to come radially, and so air nozzles would have to be
positioned to act radially on the sides of the log.

In your design, it looks similar to a Rocket, but with the fuel container
near vertical.  However, the top loading hatch looks fairly airtight?  - so
unlike a rocket, there is no air drawn through fuel.

Nevertheless it appears to burn well and produces a healthy amount of good
sized charcoal.  I would be very interested to know how it copes with a
larger log. Perhaps by way of experiment, one could be loaded, instead of
the 2" material, to see how it fairs - this would be very useful
information.

Thanks for sharing

Ken