[Gasification] Job Opps at APL: 1. Senior Mechanical/Thermal Engineer. 2. Engine Assembly Tech

Thomas Reed tombreed2010 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 09:47:24 CST 2013

Dear Jim

If I was 20 years younger I'd move to Berkeley in a heartbeat.

But here's a lead I'm following and you might like to also, or I'd love your comments.

<><><>

Wood consists of 80% cellulose which is easily vaporized, and 20% lignin, which turns into 20% charcoal yield.  But it may well be that the lignin is the source of most of the  stickier tars.

WW II gasifiers converted all the fuel to a tarry mess which had to be cleaned when before feeding an engine.

The Toplit Updraft gasifier (TLUD) leaves a 20% charcoal yield, which may have more value than the 70% energy in the gas, depending on whether you have a use for charcoal as a soil amendment and permanent fertilizer.  So the TLUD gas may have a lower tar content.  If so, co-production of TLUD gas and charcoal could be a better option if you have need of both.

We are in the middle of Winter here in Massachusetts.  As soon as Spring comes, I will measure the tars in TLUD gas to see if they are significantly lower than producer gas.

TLUD gasification leaves a volume of charcoal almost as large as the original feedstock.  It could be a very useful filter for the next batch of gas.

I'll report progress.

Your admirer,

Tom Reed

AKA