[Gasification] Mini Grid Load Following With a Biomass Gasifier

Arnt Karlsen arnt at iaksess.no
Tue Jul 9 17:09:36 CDT 2013

On Tue, 9 Jul 2013 14:43:18 +0000, Thomas wrote in message
<4F20766DE525FF408A7C148DBBD0A91D141F248A at SRV-MAIN.tkenergi.local>:
> > Tom
> >
> > Fra: Gasification
> > [mailto:gasification-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org] På vegne af
> > Tom Miles Sendt: 9. juli 2013 16:38 Til: Discussion of biomass
> > pyrolysis and gasification Emne: [Gasification] Mini Grid Load
> > Following With a Biomass Gasifier
> >
> > Does anyone have any experience or data to comment on the load
> > response of biomass gasifiers?

..experience yes, data, no.  One way of demonstrating the
load following capacity, is get 2 identical trucks, and
modify one to run on wood etc gas and race it against the
one you leave in stock condition.  The wood gas car will
have a 1 to 2 second lag when you floor the gas pedal.

..if you carry a gas bottle and a compressor, you can get
rid of that lag too, so it responds to the gas pedal like
the stock gasoline car with its stock accelleration pump.

..what sort of documentation or data standards are they asking for?

> > We're looking at using a gasifier on a mini-grid in a remote
> > community. The utility is looking for data to confirm that a biomass
> > fired generator can follow load changes on a minute to minute basis.

..not second by second???  To avoid computer crashes, you'll need
an UPS that can carry the power load for at least 5 seconds, (say
15 seconds) which needs to pick up the load in _milli_seconds.

..any good Imbert style gasifier will follow the grid load in
2 seconds, assuming it's genset is running at grid speed and
at at least 15% load, without playing dirty gas bottle tricks.

..chicken farmers here in Norway usually auto-start their
gensets after 15 seconds of grid downtime.

> > The gasifiers will be in the size range of 50-500 kWe.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Tom Miles
>
> Tom
>
> Load response on small gasifiers - fixed bed downdraft or fixed bed
> staged  gasifiers I assume -  is extremely good as there is a large
> inventory of char. The principle is used for automobiles.

..point them to Gengas and WWII wood gas automobiles.

> Most of these gasifiers can go from 10 % lo0ad to 80 % load with in a
> few seconds.

..80% load?  Most V-heart Imbert style gasifiers I've heard of
could "idle at 1/6 of full rpm" and "go to full power in about
1 to 2 seconds."

> Best regards

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: