[Gasification] forced air for TLUDs

Tom Reed tombreed2010 at gmail.com
Sun May 12 12:23:26 CDT 2013

Dear Robert

An excellent question below, and some good reasons for forced draft TLUDS.

Certainly TLUDS can work usefully without electric power.

However, the flame from a natural draft TLUD is tall and skinny and so you have incomplete combustion, quenched when a pot an inch or two away from the stove top  (since hot gases naturally rise).  Result:  you need more fuel and get soot bottomed pots.

The battery allows you to have a horizontal disk of completely burned fuel.

similar to the disc of heat created by a premixed gas stove.

So, at present, the 1.5 V battery makes a much cleaner and more efficient stove.

Good question, and I hope a good answer.

Tom Reed

Thomas B Reed
280 Hardwick Rd
Barre, MA 01005