[Gasification] Steel making Charcoal

Arnt Karlsen arnt at iaksess.no
Sat Aug 16 06:59:29 CDT 2014

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 08:59:20 +0530, Anand wrote in message
<CACPy7SeNo1_9WXEYCSqPYtCMoCTG4wbA0tJ9BmUQQAipeX59Gg at mail.gmail.com>:

> Dear List Members,
> this has been a very interesting and informative discussion. We have
> developed a TLUD charring kiln for agri-waste, leaf litter from
> forests and avenues, and urban cumbustible garbage. It produces
> powdery charcoal which burns absolutely without smoke (i.e. no
> volatiles). I was wondering, if it can be used in the steel industry.

..probably.  Verify your no-smoke observations with gas samples,
and then chk with your (local?) steel industry, my understanding
is the steel industry went for mined fossil coal because they ran
out of charcoal and wood, centuries back.

..wood charcoal is usually cleaner and more reactive than the
fossil coals, and you have a powdery charcoal, so it would be
more of interest for at least for the special expensive steel
alloy makers, rather than the cheap big bulk makers.

..but I've been wrong before. ;o)

> Yours
> A.D.Karve

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: