[Gasification] Wishart Producer Gas Unit

James Joyce james at jamesjoyce.com.au
Wed Jul 16 04:12:45 CDT 2014

Doug, as a proponent and developer of continuous charcoal production equipment I second your motion that charcoal gasifiers should get more attention ... after all a good charcoal has less than one tenth the tar production potential of woody biomass. After all that is mostly what char production is about, removing  volatile matter to leave a carbon rich product. Of course the volatile matter that is released must be used and dealt with responsibly ... I don't want to advocate for the great billowing char pits and kilns of the 19th century.

The other benefit of charcoal is consistency in what the engine sees as a fuel. Most wood gasifiers have to put up with a lot of variation in their fuel. ... and when it comes to engines and fuels garbage in equals garbage out.

Regards,

James