[Gasification] Dioxins ...was Clean air ..

Peter Davies idgasifier at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 16:21:02 CDT 2014

James,

I liked Kevin & Doug's wise replies. As you are aware from our personal
discussions we covered this issue at some length with the NSW EPA at
their invitation back in 2013. The core issues have not changed and you
remain definitely up against it. What you are experiencing now is the
reason we opted for a hybrid plant that uses our gasifier to manage
emissions, designing and building the pyrolysis section ourselves now
since no one with existing working designs believed the approach we
offered was necessary.

The EPA did warn the emerging pyrolysis industry that their apparent
belief that they could apply sufficient political pressure to have the
regulator water down requirements would fail, and that companies would
need to address the issues rather than expect to be able to ignore
them.  As you will be aware even those who have enjoyed considerable
Government largesse over the last decade, recieving millions in public
monies, are not exempt from this hence why they are big on press
releases but non existent on working commercial projects.

Your a)....d) point list is why the NSW draft waste to energy policy
issued started with prescriptions based on combustion incinerators. We
successfully argued against this since it precluded approaches other
than combustion as a suitable technology, and the final release version
recognises this by setting targets rather than prescribing things like
minimum combustion zone residence times, allowing then for innovation in
the private sector as to how best to meet the requirement.

Essentially though it is recognised that pyrolysis systems _can_ operate
under conditions that encourage dioxin and other nasties or result in
above background level release. You can argue till you're blue in the
face that yours doesn't, but at the end of the day you have to prove it.
The onus is on you to do so, not the EPA to prove you are. Then you have
to follow up and confirm it still isn't later on down the track after
you have been operating for a bit, and then every time someone with
little knowledge and a lot of fear (or simply penchant for stirring
trouble, like jealous competitors) lays a complaint that you might be.
The upshot being you will need to budget for more than one expensive
test...and any licensing granted is only on a project by project basis.

We were invited to apply for a General Exemption for our own system as
they are satisfied that our plant design could inherently satisfy the
legislation, we have not followed through yet simply because this too
still has confirmation testing and costs associated, is scale dependent,
and has to be repeated for each feed stock change (Cotton gin trash vs
woody wastes from composting operations for example) so we see it as
part of the client expense in the first instance, and secondly the most
likely path for us is offshore due to continued seemingly Government
backed attempts to misappropriate our IP for the benefit of some of
their mates. I don't say this lightly either, it is currently the focus
of a formal fraud investigation.

$3000 per sample seems on the low side of quotes we had, $5000 being the
norm. $10,000/day is the cost for a independent technicion to come to
the plant for the same purpose. Any hint, real or perceived, that you
might have fudged the sampling whilst doing it yourself can prove very,
very expensive, particularly where the results are not accepted and you
have to get independent qualified testers involved, who then come up
with adverse results... Hence why established industry opts for the
independent testing route in the first instance. As an aside this is
also the reason we have a properly engineered gas sampling column to
ensure representative samples built into our latest 500kg/hr industrial
scale gasifier module, it has already been noted by visiting
scientists/engineers as "uncommon practice" but "very smart" (the same
scientists who after the demonstration also recommended we stop calling
it a gasifier, not because it isn't, but because the association with
standard industry expectations of performance does it a grave disservice).

Assuming you successfully negotiate the testing, don't forget you will
also need to demonstrate how you can address shoddy or uneducated users
of your plant changing the operating parameters or allowing in
problematic feed stocks that increase the risk of exceeding the emission
limits.

Good luck.

Peter

--