[Gasification] Charcoal and biochar

Doug Doug.Williams at orcon.net.nz
Sun Mar 16 13:23:17 CDT 2014

Hi Tom,

Glad you can still find time for fun, we need more of it(:-)

> Thrre technologies are coming together
>
> o. Wood pellets are widely available throughout the US, Europe and much of the rest of the world.
>
> o. Wood pellets are an ideal oil substitute for running cars and trucks.  Much better than the wood blocks used during WWII. The cost of pellet energy is 1/3 the cost of gasoline.
>
> o. Biochar is a product that should become better known and well used, since it greatly increases soil productivity, while reducing the CO2 burden on our atmosphere
>
> I intend to buy a small truck when Spring comes, convert it to producer gas from pellets and drive cross country to see my son in Long Beach (and other West coast friends)
>
> Comments?

I don't know the topography of the USA between Barre and Long Beach, but if you get there across the USA, then it will be a doodle to drive up the Californian central valley, up the long climb to Mount Shasta, then onto Etna. Gasifiers work at there best under max torque conditions, so up hill is slower than high speed on the flats, given the change to operating conditions.

If you have time to do this, I am quite sure that I can organise a sponsored trail of pellet dumps (at least from San Francisco) to replace the gas stations others depend on, but then I would expect you to have that factor already sponsored. Of course you will be able to see the Shasta Class installation at work, but it's key operating requirement is right now not in the Summer, but they run it anyway to clock up the hours monitoring the life factors of the design factors.

If you have a time table, let us know well in advance so it can be well organised in advance.

Regards,
Doug Williams,
Fluidyne.