[Gasification] Borealis / Spanner RE2 CHP

Larry Gooder lsgooder at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 13:48:39 CDT 2014

Tom

Borealis Wood Power is the North American distributor of the Spanner
Holz-Kraft CHP that delivers 45kWe and 110 kWt

As to make a decent ROI we need to have the end user to have a need for
6,500 hours or more of the demand.

Spanner RE2 is over the 250 unit mark in the European Union market and the
large majority of these are 7,000 plus hours/year customers.

And as noted some of the countries have a premium feed in tariff and that
helps on the electrical side, but the thermal has to be considered first.

I get regular e-mails and phone inquiries from people who want to explore
generating electrical power using their wood chips, but when asked what they
are going to use the thermal for, they draw a blank, as they were only
considering the electrical side. Competing with more expensive and highly
fluctuating cost fuels as propane or oil there is a good ROI and electrical
generated heat comes in as well.

The overall efficiency of the plant, using wood chips with moisture content
of 13%, thermal efficiency: 56.1% and electrical efficiency of 23.3%.

Our full scale demonstration plant is running at our facility in Burlington
Ontario Canada (40 minutes from Toronto International Airport) and welcome
you to come and have some hands on experience.

Larry Gooder

Enthusiastically,

Larry Gooder

O: +1 905 319 0404 x 2