[Gasification] SPAM: Re: Gasification 2016 Summit, Rotterdam - £265 Early Bird Discount Expiring Tomorrow

Thomas Koch tk at tke.dk
Fri Oct 30 07:30:16 CDT 2015

I did participate in 3-5 biomass conferences a year from 1988 and the next 15-20 years – The European, The American –VTT –the Scandinavian + many more specialized conferences. I got to know many of you that are writing on this page.
At c conference in Berlin in 2002 I realized that I had had seen 25 % of slides more than once (and some of them 10 times!) , and I decided to have a conference break for some years.
A moths ago I attended a “Straw for biogas” conference in Denmark. It was 11 years since I had attended a biogas conference.  I had only seen 10 % of the slides ☺ .
It was still many of the same fiery souls presenting the same message as 10-20 years ago but now a little older and some shouting a little more – some a little more quite – all in frustration of no real results and the decrease in the oil price and the reduction of public support for “green technology”.
I looked at the program of the Rotterdam conference – is it worth 2500 £ - 4000 €  (fee+hotel+travel) + 2-3-4 days? Difficult to say. It does not look all that new.
Is it important to meet and discuss – definitely -
But it is not all that easy to discuss the real problem. There is a lot of inertia in gasification.
Eg – when I started in gasification – funded by the Danish technology development program we where all developing gasifiers for CHP – most of us staged gasifier – Viking – TKE 3 stage – Biosynergy etc. Electricity was expensive and heat was cheap. Now it is opposite and the market for that technology in Europe does not exist.
Pre-coupuled gasifier – where waste or straw are fed in to a power plant is not all that interesting any more, because the big power plants does not really fit in the “Smartgrid”.
Waste gasification is not really competitive with incineration and shale-gas.
And… and ….and …. and…

For me the question Is:  Is biomass gasification a hobby og a profession?

You pay for your hobby – you get payed by your profession.

One thing I have noticed is that many of my professional network believe I have left gasification because I am not attending conferences that often any more.
Maybe Tom is right when he says:
Years ago one client concluded that there were two ways to make money with biomass: put on a conference; or, get paid to haul it away.
Best regards

Thomas Koch
tk at tke.dk<mailto:tk at tke.dk>
phone + 45 22611047