[Gasification] SPAM: Re: Small Scale Industrial Gasifiers

Doug doug.williams.nz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 04:59:41 CDT 2017

Hi Nicolo and Gasification Colleagues,

Nico would you please explain the definition of MP2 as it is not a
familiar abbreviation within my knowledge.

Monitoring engine oil contamination can be quite an interesting activity
using any type of fuel, and the basics are simple to apply without
resorting to special equipment. If you link to the Fluidyne Archive

http://www.fluidynenz.250x.com/

Scroll down to the Archive File:  Producer Gas Engine Oil and Soot,  you
can read more about how to do it. I also have a more detailed write-up
that we used to hand out to read the oil spot blotters. If the interest
is there, I will dig it out of the box files and post it for those
interested.

In regards to relying on the color of the oil as indication of the
amount of insolubles it contains, this is only relevant if the pH Total
Base Number (TBN) remains high. If the gas moisture levels are masked by
reheating the filtered gas, then that moisture will rapidly deplete the
pH and the oil will move into an acid state. Two thirds of all engine
wear is actually acid erosion, not particle abrasion. If soot is being
carried in suspension, it will drop out to form sludge and the oil will
look perfectly clean. You can expect the oil to darken immediately after
oil changes, as the anti-oxidant additive heats and creates the first
darkening of the oil. Good quality Gas Engine Oil has a high TBN, but
then so does Diesel Engine Oil, so both are good for producer gas
applications.

The other effect of moisture in producer gas is that it slows down the
flame speed of combustion and gas continues to burn out of the exhaust
valves causing seat recession and CO emissions.

Hope this might be of interest.

Doug Williams,

Fluidyne.